This, the first and only national-scale ecosystem-based biodiversity assessment undertaken in Canada, was a collaborative project of the Canadian federal, provincial and territorial governments. ESTR reports are published by the Canadian Councils of Resource Ministers. The assessment forms part of Canada’s commitment to the Convention on Biological Diversity. Authors and reviewers include hundreds of experts from across Canada. A main report was produced in late 2010, followed by a series of reports on Canada’s major ecozones, and a series of national-scale thematic technical reports.
The official website for the assessment is biodivcanada.ca. In order to increase awareness of the assessment and accessibility to its products, we are posting a selection of published ESTR reports on this website. Some of these reports may not be consistently available through the official website. Our connection to this project is that Joan Eamer was on the author team of several of the reports, and Claire Eamer edited or contributed to several reports.Notes: These reports are unaltered copies of official works published by the Government of Canada. Please consider reposting ESTR reports on other sites so that they remain widely accessible to the Canadian public. French versions were also produced–if you wish to obtain one, submit your request through the contact information on the official website. The reports on Canada’s Arctic ecozones have not yet been published–we will post both the full report and the highlights report on this website when they are released.
- Canadian biodiversity: ecosystem status and trends 2010. Prepared by Federal, Provincial and Territorial Governments of Canada. Authors: J. Eamer, T. Hayes and R. Smith.
- Atlantic Maritime. 2014. Evidence for key findings summary, prepared by T. Hayes, D. Beaudette, G. Sheehy, and P. Lilley. Based mainly on an unpublished technical report with lead author S. Eaton.
- Hudson Plains. 2013. Evidence for key findings summary, prepared in partnership by the lead authors of the full technical report and the ESTR Secretariat. Technical ecozone report lead coordinating authors and compilers: K.F. Abraham, L.M. McKinnon, Z. Jumean, S.M. Tully, L.R. Walton and H.M. Stewart.
- Prairies. 2014. Evidence for key findings summary, prepared by T. Hayes, P. Lilley, M. Dubois and J. Thorpe, based mainly on an unpublished technical report with lead authors J. Thorpe and B. Godwin.
- Taiga Cordillera. 2011. Evidence for key findings summary, prepared by the ESTR Secretariat, based mainly on an unpublished technical report with lead authors N. MacLean and J. Eamer.
- Taiga Plains. 2013. Evidence for key findings summary, prepared by the ESTR Secretariat with the assistance of J. Eamer and A. Gunn, based mainly on an unpublished technical report with lead authors A. Gunn, J. Eamer and S. Carrière.
- Taiga Shield. 2014. Evidence for key findings summary, prepared by A. Gunn and J. Eamer, based mainly on an unpublished technical report with the same lead authors.
- Western Interior Basin. 2014. Evidence for key findings summary, prepared by R. Rae, G. Sheehy, T. Hayes ad E. Gonzales. Based mainly on an unpublished technical report with lead authors D. Gayton, L. Harding, T. Hayes and R. Rae.
Technical Thematic Reports
- Canadian climate trends, 1950-2007. 2011. X. Zhang, R. Brown, L. Vincent, W. Skinner, Y. Feng and E. Mekis.
- Changes in Canadian seabird populations and ecology since 1970 in relation to changes in oceanography and food web. 2009. A.J. Gaston, D.F. Bertram, A.W. Boyne, J.W. Chardine, G. Davoren, A.W. Diamond, A. Hedd, W.A. Montevecchi, J.M. Hipfner, M.J.F. Lemon, M.L. Mallory J-F. Rail and G.J. Robertson. (Environ. Rev. 17: 267-286)
- Ecological classification system for the ecosystem status and trends report. 2011. R. Rankin, M. Austin and J. Rice.
- Guidance for the preparation of ESTR products – classifying threats to biodiversity. 2011. C. Wong.
- Guidance for the preparation of ESTR products – land classification scheme. 2011. J. Frisk.
- Inland colonial waterbird and marsh bird trends for Canada. 2011. D.V.C. Weseloh.
- Landbird trends in Canada, 1968-2006. 2011. C. Downes, P. Blancher and B. Collins.
- Large-scale climate oscillations influencing Canada, 1900-2008. 2011. B. Bonsal and A. Shabbar.
- Monitoring ecosystems remotely: a selection of trends measured from satellite observations of Canada. 2011. F. Ahern, J. Frisk, R. Latifovic and D. Pouliot.
- Northern caribou population trends in Canada. 2011. A. Gunn, D. Russell and J. Eamer.
- Soil erosion on cropland: introduction and trends for Canada. 2011. B.G. McConkey, D.A. Lobb, S. Li, J.M.W. Black and P.M. Krug.
- Trends in breeding waterfowl in Canada. 2011. M. Fast, B. Collins and M. Gendron.
- Trends in Canadian shorebirds. 2011. C. Gratto-Trevor, R.I.G. Morrison, B. Collins, J. Rausch, M. Drever and V. Johnston.
- Trends in large fires in Canada, 1959-2007. 2011. C.C. Krezek-Hanes, F. Ahern, A. Cantin and M.D. Flannigan.
- Trends in permafrost conditions and ecology in northern Canada. 2011. S. Smith.
- Trends in wildlife habitat capacity on agricultural land in Canada, 1986-2006. 2011. S.K. Javorek and M.C. Grant.
- Trends in residual soil nitrogen for agricultural land in Canada, 1981-2006. 2011. C.F. Drury, J.Y. Yang and R. De Jong.
- Wildlife pathogens and diseases in Canada. 2011. F. Leighton.
- Woodland caribou, boreal population, trends in Canada. 2011. C. Callaghan, S. Virc and J. Duffe.
Marine ecozone status and trends reports (published by Fisheries and Oceans Canada)
- 2010 Canadian marine ecosystem status and trends report. Fisheries and Oceans Canada. (overview report)
- Arctic marine ecozones. 2010. A. Niemi, J. Paulic and D. Cobb.
- Coastal waters off the west coast of Vancouver Island. 2010. D. Ianson and L. Flostrand.
- Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence. 2010. R. Dufour, H. Benoît, M. Castonguay, J. Chassé, L. Devine, P. Galbraith, M. Harvey, P. Larouche, S. Lessard, B. Petrie, L. Savard, C. Savenkoff, L. St-Amand and M. Starr.
- Gulf of Maine and Scotian Shelf. 2010. T. Worcester and M. Parker.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Shelf. 2010. N.D. Templeman.
- North Coast and Hecate Strait. 2010. P. Cummins and R. Haigh.
- Strait of Georgia. 2010. S.C. Johannessen and B. McCarter.